In England and Wales, we are the 'competent authority' for carrying out the Directive.
- analyse the characteristics of the 11 River Basin Districts in England and Wales and assess the impact of human activity on the water bodies within these districts
- monitor the status of water bodies against the objectives set for them
- prepare, review and keep an up to date register of protected areas for each River Basin District
- prepare and consult on the River Basin Management Plans
- take the lead in drawing up and carry out the Programme of Measures.
Who else will play a part?
We have created liaison panels in each River Basin District. Panels are made up of individuals from:
- water companies
- business and industry
- the Consumer Council for Water
- other industry sectors specific to the district
- environmental regulators