Find out if you need a boat registration, get information on river levels and download our canoe guides.
Do I need a boat registration?
You may need a boat registration from the navigation authority for the waterway you want to canoe on, unless you are a member of the British Canoe Union (BCU).
Which waterways are we the navigation authority for?
We are the navigation authority for the waterways below. If you want to canoe on them, you will need to buy a registration from us (unless you are a member of the BCU):
- Non-tidal River Thames (Cricklade Bridge to Teddington)
- Bedford Ouse below Kempston, Bedford
- River Ancholme
- River Nene from Northampton to Wisbech
- Rivers Welland and Glen
- Little Ouse, Wissey, Lark and Cam (below Bottisham lock)
- Suffolk Stour below Brundon, Sudbury
- River Medway below Tonbridge
River and sea levels
We measure river and sea levels across England and Wales by collecting data from our monitoring stations along the rivers and the coast. You can use our map to locate monitoring stations for data on current, normal and highest river levels in a chosen area:
For information on water levels in your local rivers you can call Rivercall:
You can download and print our canoe guides: