What to tell your insurer after a flood
Questions to ask and records to keep when contacting your insurers.
Contact your insurance company
- Ask when a loss adjuster will visit. They will identify what repairs and replacements are needed and are covered by your policy.
- Ask if they will help pay for repairs that will better prepare your property, and reduce future costs, if flooding happens again.
- Ask if you should clean your property.
- Confirm that they will pay for any service or equipment you need.
- Make a note of all telephone calls to the insurers: include the date, the name of the person you speak to, and what was agreed.
- Keep copies of all letters, emails and faxes you send and receive.
- Keep receipts.
- Mark the height of flood water on the wall with a permanent marker, in all flooded rooms.
- Photograph and take videos of your damaged property.
- List the damage to property and belongings.
- If your policy covers you for lost perishable goods, list the foods touched by floodwater and those in your fridge and freezer ruined by loss of power and throw them away. Don’t throw away anything else until told.