Visiting our Information Centre is a great way to learn more about the Thames Barrier. Find out how the Thames Barrier was designed and built, and how it works. You can also learn about the history and environment of the River Thames.
Upcoming events in 2013
London Marathon – Sunday 13th April 2014
Please be aware that local roads around the Thames Barrier will be affected by the road closures for the marathon. The Thames Barrier Information Centre and View Café will be open as usual between 10.30 – 17.00.
Thursday-Sunday, 10.30am-5pm. Last admission 4.30pm.
We are open all bank holidays.
Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Open on bank holiday Wednesday 1 January 2014. Normal opening hours commence from Thursday 2 January 2014.
- Adults – £3.75 (£3.25 for disabled adults*)
- Seniors (60 and over) – £3.25 (£2.75 for disabled seniors*)
- Students (16-18 or in full-time education) – £3.25 (£2.75 for disabled students*)
- Children under 16 – £2.25 (£1.75 for disabled children*)
- Children under 5 – Free
- Families (up to two adults and three children) - £10.00
*Carers accompanying disabled visitors will be admitted free of charge.
If you are bringing a group please contact us to book and order your food on 0208 305 4188 or email us. Please see our price list for prices and options.
Please see our Group Talks page for more information:
Please note that our disabled lift is currently out of order.
We have three parking bays in our car park where blue-badge holders can park free of charge. We also have a drop-off point for taxis and minibuses.
Access to the riverfront is restricted, as there are steep steps leading down from the bank. This is because the bank is a flood defence levee, and any ramps could compromise the integrity of the defence.
There is a toilet for disabled people that requires a radar key, which we can provide on request.
Directions and parking
Our address is: Thames Barrier Information Centre, 1 Unity Way, Woolwich, London, SE18 5NJ.
Our pay-and-display carpark is open from 7.30am to 5.30pm, seven days a week.
- £1.50 per day for cars (please note that the car park closes at 5pm).
- Free parking for coaches with all group bookings for the Information Centre and The View conference room.
- £10 for coaches with no group booking (please call us on 020 8305 4188 to pay by card, and we will email your permit to you).
Local road closures:
Scheduled boat services do not stop at the Thames Barrier. If you would like to visit the Thames Barrier by boat, you will need to contact Thames River Services, which operates passenger boat services on the River Thames: