How to clear up your home after a flood and deal with an insurance claim.
Every year flood damage costs millions of pounds. It will take a long time before you can get your life back to normal following a flood.
Find out if it is safe to return to your property
- Take care as there may be hidden dangers in the flood water like sharp objects, raised manhole covers and pollution.
- Flood water could have caused structural damage to your property.
Ring your buildings and contents insurance company as soon as possible
- In almost all cases the insurance company will send a loss adjuster to look at your property. They will confirm what repairs and replacements are needed and covered by your policy. Ask if they will help pay for repairs that will reduce potential flood damage and therefore reduce costs if it happens again
- If you rent your property, contact your landlord and your contents insurance company as soon as possible.
- If you do not have insurance, your local council should be able to provide information on hardship grants or charities that may be able to help you.
This leaflet is also available in three audio guides:
Please note these files are very large and will take time to download.