All download data files are zipped and will require extraction.
Annual maxima, peaks over threshold, and catchment descriptors
ASCII files suitable for use with the WINFAP-FEH program. There are separate files for each data type:
- .am Annual Maxima (AMAX)
- .pt Peaks over Threshold (POT)
- .cd2 Catchment Descriptors (for WINFAP-FEH version 2)
- .cd3 Catchment Descriptors (for WINFAP-FEH version 3)
The catchment descriptor files are based on those supplied by CEH Wallingford for WINFAP-FEH, but with HiFlows-UK data and with amendments as described in the version notes.
Extracting these zipped files
When you extract the zipped files, we suggest that you preserve the file paths (ensure the "Use folder names" option is ticked in Winzip). The .zip files then extract into three folders or directories:
- Not OK for QMED or pooling
- OK for QMED but not pooling
- OK for pooling
These three folders are based on the Indicative Suitability of each station. Users may wish to create other folders - for example, containing all stations, or stations from both the "OK for QMED" and "OK for pooling" folders.
Using the new downloaded files in WINFAP-FEH
You will need to tell WINFAP-FEH where to find the new files. To do this, run WINFAP-FEH:
- Close any existing project file and Open a New Project file
- Go to Options > Projectfile Options > Load Options
- Browse to the new folder 'OK for Pooling' (or as appropriate) and select
Peaks over threshold files in csv (comma separated variable) format for importing into spreadsheets.
For any users still on WINFAP-FEH version 1, these provide the new catchment descriptor values in version 1 format (.cd).