All you need to know about taking or impounding water.
The supply of water is limited, so we make sure that it’s managed and used effectively to meet the needs of people and the natural environment. We do this through a licensing system.
In this section you will find information about:
- whether you need a licence
- CAMS - to check how much water is available in your area
- how to apply for a new licence
- how to change an existing licence (includes how to extend the authorised period on your irrigation licence)
- metering abstractions
- our work towards restoring sustainable abstractions
- water rights trading
- modernising the regulation of water resources
- Water Act 2003 - removal of exemptions from licence control
Check water availability via your local CAMS. Find out if you need a licence and how to apply for one. Find out how to change an existing licence.
Find out how and why you need to meter your abstraction
Protecting the environment from unsustainable abstraction and achieving sustainable catchments.
Information on trading and the Environment Agency's and Ofwat's joint review.
Implementation of the Water Act 2003
Find out about progress on the final stage of the implementation of the Water Act 2003