If you produce or hold hazardous waste at any premises in England and Wales you must register it each year, unless the total quantity is less than 500kg each year or the premises is excluded by our regulatory position statement.
Making or renewing an annual registration
You can register your own premises or do this on behalf of someone else. However, before you register someone else, you must have their permission. Key points about registration are:
- the registration is valid for 12 months and must be renewed each year
- you can renew a registration up to one month before it expires
- if you produce or hold less than 500kg of hazardous waste in a year you will not need to inform us that you are exempt
- premises in Scotland or Northern Ireland are not required to register
- the regulations in England and Wales are the same
- you need to know the Standard Industry Classificaton (SIC) code
- Standard Industry Classification (SIC) Codes (Excel, 1.5MB)
You can register online (recommended for up to five sites). The price for registering online is £18 per site. You will need a credit or debit card (we do not accept American Express or Diners Card).
Register by telephone
You can register by telephone on 03708 502 858* between 9am and 5pm (any weekday except Good Friday, Christmas Day, bank holidays or other public holidays). The price for registering by telephone is £23 per site. You will need a credit or debit card (we do not accept American Express or Diners Card).
*Details of call charges can be found on the GOV.UK website.
Register by post
You can register by post by completing the paper application form. The price for registering by post is £28 per site. You can pay by cheque, postal order or BACS:
Post your application form to:
99 Parkway Avenue
Parkway Business Park
Registering in bulk
If you need to register up to 2,000 sites at the same time, you can prepare an electronic file and email it or post it to us. The cost for registering in bulk is £18 per site. You can pay by cheque, postal order, BACS or credit or debit card (we do not accept American Express or Diners Card):