Before you register your agricultural waste exemptions read our guidance which will tell you:
- what activities you can carry out under the exemptions
- how the old exemptions map across to the new ones
Register your exemptions online
We have produced three short videos to help you register online. Please select the one which applies to you.
You will need the following information to register:
- name and address including the postcode of the person/company carrying out the exempt activity
- paragraph number or numbers of the waste exemption(s) you wish to register
- address and postcode where available and a 12-digit grid reference of the place where the exemption(s) are to be carried out
- Find your UK grid reference
Our online system requires cookies to be enabled on your computer. If you are unable to move past the first page of our online system and believe you are typing in the word you're asked for correctly, we recommend you check your cookies are enabled. This is a setting within your internet browser and the help button in your browser should provide guidance on how to do this.
Register your exemption by post
If you would like further help, please ring our farm advisors on 0845 603 3113.
What you need to do to comply
Most activities involving the storage, recycling and disposal of farm wastes can be registered as exempt from the need to have an environmental permit. There are approximately 60 waste exemptions although not all are relevant to farmers. Some exemptions will be relevant to farmers for example:
- the anaerobic digestion of manures and slurry
- composting vegetation waste
- using rubble from a demolished farm building in the foundations of a new barn or shed
You will need to register your exemption with us before you carry out your waste activity. Exemptions are free of charge to register.
If you can’t comply with the conditions and limits and want to carry on the waste operation you will need a permit authorising the activity.