Find out if you need to apply for an environmental permit or register a waste exemption.
If you produce or hold hazardous waste at any premises in England and Wales, you must also register this each year, unless the total quantity is less than 500kg a year:
Do I need to apply for a permit or register an exemption?
If you are storing or treating waste and your activity is listed in Schedule 3 of the Environmental Permitting Regulations (EPR) then you do not require a permit but you may need to register an exemption.
If your activity is not exempt then you will require an environmental permit.
If you operate or are proposing to operate a facility which meets any of the criteria below you must comply with the Industrial Emissions Directive so will need to apply for a waste installation permit:
- storage of more than 50 tonnes of hazardous waste
- treatment of hazardous waste (other than by incineration or landfill) in a facility with a capacity of more than 10 tonnes per day
- biological treatment of waste for recovery in a facility with a capacity of more than 75 tones per day (100 tonnes per day if the treatment is anaerobic digestion)
- biological treatment of waste for disposal in a facility with a capacity of more then 50 tonnes per day (100 tonnes per day if the treatment is anaerobic digestion)
- operating a metal shredder/fragmentiser with a capacity of more than 75 tonnes per day
- treating slags or ask in a facility with a capacity of more than 75 tonnes per day
- pre-treating waste for incineration or co-incineration in a facility with a capacity of more than 75 tonnes per day
Further information is available at the following link:
If you operate a waste treatment or storage facility but you do not meet the above criteria, then your facility may be an EPR waste operation. For further information on waste operations please click on the link below:
Types of permit
There are two types of environmental permit, standard and bespoke. If you require a bespoke permit we make site-specific decisions about whether to grant the permit, and about what permit conditions will be required to protect the environment:
Change, transfer or surrender your permit
Find out how to make changes to (vary), transfer or surrender your permit
Environmental permitting guidance
Read specific guidance for the waste treatment and storage sector to help you complete your application and comply with the conditions of your environmental permit:
Making an application
You need to fill in the application form if you want to apply for a new permit or if you want to change, transfer or surrender your permit: