Our Sustainable Business Report provides the environmental performance data which we use to drive our engagement with industry to create a better environment for business and communities.
It shows how we work to ensure businesses operate in a way that minimises their environment impact in an efficient way without imposing unnecessary administrative burdens on them.
“Our Sustainable Business report 2011 shows that the vast majority of regulated businesses have a good record on environmental performance and take their environmental responsibilities seriously. However, a minority of businesses are still bad neighbours, causing complaints from local communities.”
Lord Smith, Chairman
- regulation has led to major reductions in emissions to air with corresponding benefits for health and the environment
- a sustained reduction in pollutant discharges from sewage treatment works has been achieved through effective regulation over the past 20 years
- business has produced less waste and more of it is beneficially re-used
- business continues to improve its compliance with environmental permits - but some sites are still bad neighbours
- against a trend of fewer pollution incidents the waste sector and water companies need to improve their performance
- we are tackling illegal waste operators who continue to cause major environmental problems and potential health risks by dumping or exporting harmful materials
We will continue to work closely with businesses to help them improve their performance further.